Thursday, 31 May 2012

Walking

Today I was walking with my replacement. She wasn't walking that fast, but I had to ask her to slow down - I've noticed I walk differently here.

In the UK, I walk upright, with my shoulders slightly forward, striding out. I'm usually going somewhere, and why not try to get there as quickly as possible.

Here it's hot and I'm wearing flipflops. I walk with my centre of gravity a bit further back, and saunter more, picking my feet up less. 

It's a lot slower, but it uses a lot less energy, and sometimes this way I can even get all the way to from the guesthouse to the office without dripping with sweat. It's not something I did on purpose, but it's definitely different, and it's definitely the way I normally walk when on holiday. Will be interesting to see what I do when I get back to the UK - if I get back to 'getting somewhere' walking or if I'm still saving energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment