Sunday, 13 September 2009

Culture Shock Diary #4 - what kind of coffee would you like?

Um, the kind with caffeine in it? Seriously, before I've had the coffee, I can't make that kind of decision! Not that I would know anyway - at home when you order a filter coffee you get a normal coffee unless you specify something else, which works just fine for me. Here you've got the light roast, the dark roast, and lord only knows what - and does anyone know what the difference is anyway? Which do I have to ask for if I just want coffee. Also, in the supermarket - even the cheapie Johnny Foodmaster, there's a whole wall of different types of coffee beans for grinding at home, that you buy by weight. I'm not even sure where I'd go to buy non-ground coffee beans in the UK - do they sell them in Tesco? I guess this is great for coffee-lovers, but for non-experts it's very confusing and slightly intimidating, especially in the morning when you just want to get a caffeine dose and not be asked questions you don't know the answer to! Maybe next time I should get my own back by saying something like "got anything Burundian? Mmm, that's a shame, in that case I'll have to make do with the dark roast".

No comments:

Post a Comment